Monday 17 March 2014

Wig shopping

Sunday 2nd March

Alright, I finally admit it...I'm a control freak. Those of you who try and help in my (note my!) kitchen will know this about me already. Therefore, I've tried to take care of stuff that is within my control of this illness. The hair loss that chemo is likely to bring is just a cherry on the top of the cake of this treatment plan! So...I decided to take control while I still felt like it! 

The day of wig shopping had arrived! 

Daniel dropped me off and headed to find a parking space. It felt like walking through treacle taking the escalators up to the 5th floor. Emily and Kim were due to meet me up there. I had been in two minds about whether I should do this solo, just with Daniel and or with friends. All I can say is that it ended up being the right balance. When Daniel had found out that two friends were coming he wanted to pull out as he thought it would be too girly. As it turned out, Neelum made the whole thing perfect and made Daniel feel completely part of it. My most nervous moment of the whole experience was waiting for Kim/ Emily/ Daniel to meet me - I recall sending a freaking out text as I was waiting at the long white table! As soon as Neelum called me through my nerves completely eased and she has made the whole experience as great as it possibly could be.

Step one - cover your head with a pair of tights...ok so this is a rough idea of what I might look like. Breathe...it's not so bad...aha that's what my ears look like!!!

The walk through....see what you think! 

Photo no.19 - Kim goes platinum blonde (sorry K, I couldn't resist!)



Photo no.20 - option #1



Photo no.21 - option #2 - slightly shorter!



Photo no.22 - option #3 - darker?!



Photo no.23 - option #4 - a diamond is a girl's best friend! Awful photo of me but focus on the hair!



Photo no.24 - option #4 from the back - yep you've got it, this is the one!



When I had been to Vicki Ullah wig boudoir, the previous week Neelum had mentioned to me that there was a natural hair wig in my colour in stock, which apparently was uncommon. You could say fate but that feels a bit crass. However, it clearly was meant to be as I could not believe how similar to my natural colour this wig was, plus being natural hair it meant that I could have it styled similar to my own hair. It does feel weird that someone has given their own hair for a (my) wig but I was so relieved to find something that could allow me to look like me. All of this comes at a price but options 1-3 were synthetic, so the likelihood is that you need two and then they require specific shampoos etc whereas Diamond #5, can be washed, dried and styled as normal hair and should last for the period required. Hurrah! There was an element of me sat there thinking this is all great but really I don't want any of this....hey ho chin up...keep going. You can do this! The best compliment (can I call it that? I guess so) was that after a while Daniel had forgotten that it was wig on my head and that he thought I'd had an amazing haircut done! 

Post wig shop, we all deserved a treat so tea and cake at Laudree it was! 

Over dinner that evening, Daniel raised a formal toast farewell to February 2014...the worst month we've both ever had. 

1 comment:

  1. Professionally written blogs are rare to find, however I appreciate all the points mentioned here. I also want to include some other writing skills which everyone must aware of.
    alice in wonderland wig

    ReplyDelete