Tuesday 18 March 2014

Headscarves and a new arrival!

Thursday 6th March

London baby! Yeah! I often get teased at work about my affiliation for London (Mr Webb!). I feel Daniel and I grew up in London. It's where we built our life together in various different boroughs. I lived and worked there for over 10 years and found it deeply infectious and thrilling. I guess once you've got the bug it's hard to shake and I think it's a marmite place, as I know many friends who would hate to live in the city. 

Anyway...today's visit was to Guy's Hospital. The reason for the visit - how to tie a headscarf with some volunteers from HeadStrong. Guy's is a huge tower by the Shard, so just finding the right lift lobby is a good start! I had decided to do this on my own...I knew I could it was just the waiting in the chemo area here that felt uncomfortable. As you'll know by now, I'm not a hospital fan so going up to the 10th floor and walking to the chemo area was tricky...but I did it. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long. I was greeted by two amazing ladies, both of whom had had breast cancer. For anyone living in the UK and going through this, I would thoroughly recommend a session with HeadStrong volunteers before you start you chemo course. Being a 'younger woman with breast cancer' (yep, you get typecast), I think they had a field day with me. It was great to chat through the hair loss process with them....who knows how I'm going to respond. But hey, I can prepare! So here you go...some of the pics below are for your entertainment


Photo no.29  - paisley bandana!



Photo no.30 - alternative tying style with accent colour!



Photo no.31 - side tie!



Photo no.32 - good colour...perhaps!




Photo no.33 - in a convent maybe?!





Photo no.34 - I think not!!!! Stick to the paisley!



After 90 minutes with these lovely ladies, I felt more confident about tying a headscarf and other things to be aware. I do need to practice though and if any of you know any great headscarf websites then please send them to me!


I was starving so found somewhere for lunch and made a call that I had been meaning to all week. Call Gill! Gill is the mother of someone I know who has been through breast cancer and come out the other side more beautiful than ever! She is a real inspiration and someone who has kept me grounded. It's also been great to talk to someone my age. Gill is a wonderful lady who subsequently started working for Breast Cancer Care, a charity that provides amazing support. It was brilliant to chat through the situation with her and also she kindly offered to be in contact with my mother. This has proved to be something that my mum has really cherished and it's great that she has a go to mum for questions. Thank you so much Gill, your support is tremendously appreciated.

After lunch, I headed to another headwear establishment and bought a beenie for zumba...I will be back soon! It was on the way to this place that I glanced at my phone on the tube and saw a text that I had been waiting for. The lovely Laura was going in that morning for a caesarian and I was waiting to hear the news of mini deutsch #2's arrival. I read the text below and melted into a pool of tears on the circle line......

'We have a new baby! Born at lunchtime, 6 pounds 12 ounces. She's called Lana Victoria Deutsch. Lana because we love it and Victoria because we have a brave friend called Victoria we'd like her to be like. Big hugs. Lx'
Oh my goodness, I was completely choked and floored. I was speechless (something I know that is rare) and truly honoured. And also had a double take  - was that me? Laura and Ally, I am humbled by this and sending the whole Deutsch clan daily love. You're very special people and we can't wait to see you very soon. xxx


That night when we got home, I showed Daniel the slide show that you've seen above. His face just looked so very, very sad. I hadn't appreciated the impact that these photos would have on him. It's almost easier when it's yourself, as you've had the initial shock.
I'm sorry D. xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment