Monday 17 March 2014

Dad day!

Friday 28th February

Ok, please give me a break if this ends up being a babbling post. It's day 3 post chemo and my head is still a little foggy. But in order to not get too far behind, I'm determined to do a few updates today! 

Back to 28th Feb!

The rules after general anaesthetic are that you have to have someone with for 24 hours afterwards. It didn't seem justified for Daniel to take another day from work, so instead my mum was due to come over and keep an eye on me. Unfortunately, she had come down with a dreadful cold, so instead my dad took up the reigns and came over. At first I didn't really appreciate the knocking on the door or the hello calls, so pretended/ tried to get back to sleep. Then the gas man turned up, so sleep time was definitely put on hold. I actually felt pretty good. Sure my arm felt sore/ achy with a cracker of a bruise but not too shabby. So challenge no. 1 - a bath! This was harder than it sounds as I could only use one arm to lower myself in and out. My goodness though how good was it to have a bath! I wasn't allowed the get the dressing wet, so showers were out of the question. As I mentioned in my last post, I had the delightful blue pee, which continued throughout this day...my left boob was also dyed blue around the nipple, something I'm still sporting today! Nice!!!

I came down for breakfast and my goodness I could not get my father to stop talking! It was nice to talk through everything that had happened so far with him though and understand his thoughts and feelings on it. Good quality time with papa McF! Whilst he was there it made sense to get him cracking on a few jobs...hanging some painting, doing some gardening! 

Then the doorbell rang again and to my delight, I received my first ever box of flowers!

Photo no.17 - the real flowers! 



These were courtesy of Daniel's colleagues along with a beautiful message for the both of us. They smelled amazing as along with the flowers there was also mint, rosemary and eucalyptus. A great way to start the day!

My mum also stopped by to say a very croaky hello at a distance and to fulfil her need to help out, she took a basket of laundry to be ironed! Brilliant! She also brought some daffodils...my favourite spring flower.  Apparently afterwards she regretted it as she remembered that they are the logo for Marie Curie, something that had not even occurred to me!

It was this day that I also started writing my blog (which I hope you're enjoying or at the least finding informative!). I found it extremely therapeutic to recall the events that had happened over the past few weeks. 

Then the doorbell rang again and my next visitors arrived Ces and Harrison!!! As the chat was about to turn girly in my Dad's mind, he made a speedy getaway after saying hello to the new visitors. Having tiny Harrison in the house made me acutely aware how child unfriendly our house is! Now that he can walk on his own he had tremendous fun with my pots and pans, wine bottles...needless to say it kept Ces and I on our toes! We headed into the study as I thought it might be a safer bet but no chance!!! Instead we headed out into the wet afternoon and took a leisurely stroll along the Thames...wonderful to get some fresh air and this seem to keep Master Hamilton occupied. 

Daniel arrived home and we realised a food shop was required. We were both tired so did the inevitable relaxing on the sofa, still knowing that we needed to go out and get food, which we eventually did. We ate far too late and by this point I recall being exhausted. Dropping a fork on the floor made me feel like the most useless person in the world that evening whilst laying the table. Stupid I know but it's often the small stuff that can make you feel this way. Deep breath, let a few tears out, eat dinner and relax.





No comments:

Post a Comment