Saturday 8 March 2014

River and recce!

Saturday 22nd February - the sun shines!
Amazing to have a sunny Saturday following the months of what seemed like endless grey days! Daniel and I are really lucky, as five minutes from our house is the beautiful Thames path from where you can admire the stunning (if only we had a lotto win) houses, gaze longingly at The Waterside Inn (maybe something on the to do list this summer) and enjoy the nature along the river. I love the beginning of spring when the buds begin to appear and there is hope in the air.

Photo no.10 - a walk along the Thames.



I also faced into one of the biggest challenges that I've associated with chemotherapy...hair loss. It's such an emotive subject and something that I was prepared to fight tooth and nail to keep. Knowing that this was a potential reality despite sheer determination, I started to work my way through the various websites that were listed on My New Hair, to find somewhere that I could buy a wig from and more importantly have it cut to suit my face and ultimately look as similar as possible to my natural hair. I've never really dyed my hair and have been lucky that after blasting it for five minutes with a hairdryer it looks fairly decent, so I wanted to retain this natural look as much as possible. I narrowed the search down to Vicki Ullah at Harrods and Cobello and Selfridges and decided to go on a recce with Daniel the next day.

Sunday 23rd February - wig recce!

Nerves kicked in....first day at school/ university type nerves. Thankfully my partner in crime, Mr Welinder was right by side so I know I could do this. We weaved our way through Harrods (expertly by Mr W as he knows this store too well) and arrived at the Vicki Ullah area on the 5th floor. We had a quick chat with Neelum, who put me immediately at ease and we talked through the options. She mentioned at this initial visit that she had a natural hair wig that was very similar to my own hair colour...fate perhaps. I booked an appointment for the following Saturday to have a consultation. It felt that I could take control at least this part of the process.

We then went up to Selfridges to check out Cobello. Unlike Harrods, this was on one of the womenswear floors and felt too loud and exposed. As with everything we all have our personal preferences...I tentatively walked in and walked out pretty quickly knowing that Vicki Ullah was the place for me.

Overall, I breathed a sigh of relief....doing the recce was thoroughly worthwhile and it meant I was building my armoury!

Photo no.11 - Oxford Street recce - loving the guy behind me in the Union Jack hat!



Arriving back home, Lars (Daniel's dad) warmly greeted us following his drive over from Sweden, along with his travelling companions...the VIP (D for dog) being Daniel's Snoopy from his childhood..something that I wanted him to have in the house to have a hug with from time to time.

Overall a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment