Sunday 5 October 2014

Limbo land week 3

Monday 22nd September

Song of the day (LH): Wishing I was lucky - Wet, Wet, Wet
Song of the day (VW): Next to me - Emeli Sandé

One person who never lets me down is my music man, Lee Homer (LH). Everyday since February, he's sent me a song of the day. Thank you so much Mr Homer. We've had our song ups and downs but I'm enjoying this game! 

Photo no.600 - beach meditation....just need the sunshine!




2 hours of unadulterated walking along the beach and in the woods....Monday bliss. It would be nice to do this everyday but then I guess it might lose its magic.
Photo no.601 - on top of the world!



Time to head homeward bound. As always it had been a thoroughly relaxing weekend in Sweden. 

Despite a short delay, we had an easy journey home and soon enough we were in the Fiat 500 heading home.

Tamoxifen time....oh well here goes....you're, potentially, to be part of my life until 2024 so lets be friends. I took it with DW by my side as it felt like a big step to take this first tablet. Roll on 21st September 2024 when I say goodbye to you! 

I need to do a bit of a hair vent.....so we all know that chemotherapy causes temporary hair loss (god knows how many times people told me this!)....well it's been nearly 3 months since I had my last dose and it's fair to say my hair is growing slowly, very slowly, too slowly! I know, I know, be patient it'll come but it does seem that my hair growth rate is exceptionally slow. My other hair sadness is that currently it's growing back a different colour. It's now darker, plain old mousy brown complete with the sprinkling of greys that I had before. I should be grateful it's growing back at all but it would be nice to have had the same colour as before as I was fairly happy with it. To complete the rant, I'm also concerned that there's very little hair growing at the front of my head. It would be less than ideal if no hair reappears here. Mmn. Time will tell I guess. Here endeth the rant.

Tuesday 23rd September

Song of the day (LH): Anything for you - Gloria Estefan
Song of the day (VW): Lovely day - Bill Withers

Wow! I'm feeling good. The weekend of relaxing, long walks and fresh air has helped with my energy levels and I feel some of the tiredness fog has lifted. So much so that it enabled me to start of the blog backlog that had built up....bit of a marathon to go to catch up...better get started!!!

Back to work today, which was nice. I managed to catch up with someone today who was there in the early days of me getting my head around this year's challenge. We even popped into the sample room so that she could have a cheeky peek of my new boob! : )

My new cookery challenge is that I'm now getting an Able & Cole veg box delivered each week. It's a great way to eat a variety of produce and so far, day 1 into the challenge (!), I'm loving it. In each box, there are a few recipes cards given reflective of the produce...so tonight's dinner is....


Photo no.602 - the imaginatively titled - Indian Broccoli Rice



A great weekday meal...a few prawns were added due to cooking for DW but these are not essential!

As life starts opening up to me in a world post treatment, I've been thinking about how I might be able to help other people going through treatment. Sometimes, it's just being able to have a chat that makes the difference. On this note, Gwynedd had emailed me today asking if I would be able to catch up with another 'younger' patient who is due to have the same surgery as I've had. I'm delighted to be able to help, so I've suggested meeting in person, so that I can show her my real life example! Let's hope she likes it! : ))

Wednesday 24th September

Song of the day (LH): Heart on my sleeve - Olly Murs
Song of the day (VW): Just a ride - Jem

Ok, ok, so I need 10 hours sleep a night to feel human. That's why the Sweden weekend was so incredible in its healing powers....I've cracked the tiredness code!

Today's Able & Cole challenge.....

Photo no.603 - the onion squash



Ta-dah!!!

Photo no.604 - Stuffed onion squash with zingy tahini dressing!




As I'm still concerned that DW will not classify this as 'proper' dinner, we had smoked mackerel on the side, which kind of went. However, he's now claiming that no 'where's the meat' comments will made, so veggie dinners here we come!


Thursday 25th September

Song of the day (LH): Wind beneath my wings - Bette Midler
Song of the day (VW): The sea - Morcheeba

Over 9 hours of sleep....aahhhh!

After work today, I went to do a recce of the clinic where I'm having radiotherapy, so that I wouldn't be caught out with things such car parking challenges! Thankfully it all seemed straightforward, so here's looking to you next Thursday when this kicks off!

Tonight's challenge....kale. A few options available but the speediest seemed to be.....

Photo no.605 - hey presto - Kale pesto!





Photo no.606 - pretty good with spaghetti!



Basil is still king of the pesto's in my opinion but it was good to try something new! That and the fact that the amount of pesto made means we have got 2 more dinners worth in the freezer!!!


Friday 26th September

Song of the day (LH): On and on - Erykah Badu
Song of the day (VW): It's yours - Jon Cutler

Up and ergh...really why on earth did I book physio for 9.30am? Mmn nevermind, it meant I could take DW to the station for once. Coming home from physio, I managed to write some Wonderland words but extremely slowly as I felt so hazy. I know, I know, it's going to take time to get my energy levels back. I guess it makes me grateful for the good days.

That evening DW drove us up to Rutland, as we were going to a wedding at Rockingham Castle the next day. We arrived after dark, so couldn't see the beauty of the nature but from the glimmers of the moonlight on the water, I knew it was going to be pretty spectacular the next day. To make life easy, we had booked a table in the hotel's restaurant. They offered a 5 course taster menu or a 3 course dinner...3 courses I think will be enough...I'm so pleased we went for 3 courses, as the photos will show! The photos are quite dark as the room was void of bright light and I had to use my phone to take the pictures extremely discretely...so apologies for the quality of shot! One lovely touch about this room was that the tables for 2 were small round tables where you sat side by side, rather than opposite. I really like this seating style as it's cosier and more conversation inducing. Anyway enough babbling here's the dinner...

Photo no.607 - to begin...some canapés!




Photo no.608 - to amuse my bouche some mushroom veloute complete with quail's egg



Photo no.609 - finally...to start...assiette of tomato with basil ice cream




The tomato chip tasted like the best tomato ketchup crisps possible!!!

Photo no.610 - main...venison with seasonal vegetables



Although delicious, amongst the seasonal vegetables were sweetcorn and brussel sprouts...a bit bizarre!


Photo no.611 - a nice bottle of red!



Photo no.612 - pre dessert.....crème brûlée!




Photo no.613 - actual dessert.....Colwick Cheese Tart & Biscuit with figs, walnuts, grapes and celery granita




I'm not the biggest celery fan but this granita was incredibly cleansing on the palette and worked brilliantly with the cheese tart. After this unexpected food marathon, we were both completely stuffed. All I longed for was a peppermint tea to help digest this food extravaganza! We retired to the lounge for tea and whisky, in DW's case...the tea came in accompanied by....

Photo no.614 - more food...homemade chocolates.....




Photo no.615 - relaxing by the fire



Honestly, I had no idea that this hotel was so famous for its food when we booked a night here. The decor and the ambience of Hambleton Hall made me feel like I was in a Jane Austen novel...I just need the amazing dress to go with it! Next time! ; )


Saturday 27th September

Song of the day (LH): Home - Michael Bublé
Song of the day (VW): Reet petite - Jackie Wilson

Breakfast was only served in the dining room until 9.30am so we were up at well, 9.15am to get there for last orders! A great breakfast, with freshly baked bread from the Hambleton Bakery. Delicious!


As predicted the night before, the view was absolutely spectacular. The benefit of being up early was that we could take a walk around Rutland Water. Apparently it's approx 21 miles to do a full circuit, so we just did a few laps! ; ) 

Photo no.616 - serene Rutland Water




Photo no.617 - good morning sheep!




Photo no.618 - the stunning Hambleton Hall



Photo no.619 - a room with a view



It was so peaceful here...we could have definitely stayed all weekend. If only we had booked that second night! As we needed to get ready for the wedding, we decided to stay at Hambleton for lunch. A classic cheese and pickle sandwich with a pot of tea, some weekend papers, a fire gently smoking in the background...bliss. Another Austen moment! Other guests were arriving for a formal lunch and in the time we sat and relaxed one couple had gone through the 3 course menu and then come to sit in the lounge for a coffee. I could hear their groan as the homemade chocolates arrived....I feel your pain!!! 

I wanted to don my wig as late as possible, as I've been thinking that this could be the cause for the hair at the front of my head not returning as speedily as I would like. This meant however having to do this in the hotel toilets...the glamour! Whilst applying makeup in the toilet, a particularly stylish lady came in. She complimented me on my dress. It's simple gestures such as these that can make you feel a million dollars and today, well any day, this was very welcome. We should all do this more to make more shiny happy people!

So off to Rockingham Castle we went! This is not an area of the country that I have ever given much thought to visiting before but it's spectacular and well worth a visit. During the afternoon I saw a hot air balloon floating above us, a great place to do this for a taste of the English countryside.

Photo no.620 - a happy couple....


Aside from the bride and groom we didn't know anyone else at the wedding. However, the wedding party were a friendly bunch and we soon made some new friends! It was fun meeting new people with them not knowing what this year has provided for us. A chance to be reborn! Without sounding too much of a smug married (ref Bridget Jones), I much prefer wedding ceremonies since we got married. Pre married life I found weddings could be slightly awkward in the will we, won't we, when we will scenario, the questions often coming from others. Now there is something innately beautiful being sat next to DW and reliving that magical 'I will' moment.

Later that evening one of the guests I was talking to revealed that she had lost her mum from secondary breast cancer. I could feel my heart sink. Firstly, I could feel her pain and secondly a wake up call for me. I have everything faith that this rigorous treatment plan is working magic but I guess for a while I'll have the secondary bubble floating above me. I opened up to her about my year and it was so lovely to hear her say that she would have had no idea that I was wearing a wig or that anything else was nothing but normal. High compliments indeed! : )

A truly beautiful and personal wedding day for the now Mr & Mrs Barwood! A huge congratulations to the two of you. It was incredible to share your day with you and wish you many, many happy years together. xxx

Photo no.621 - to the bride and groom!


A big thank you to DW for chauffeuring me home, after a nifty change into jeans and a jumper in the castle grounds, as I was exhausted. 


Sunday 28th September

Song of the day (LH): I luv you baby - The Original
Song of the day (VW): Streets of London - Ralph McTell

The sun is shining, it feels like summer has returned...so a lazy morning with a long breakfast. Thank you very much.

As you know, we love the stretch of river at Aston. It's so beautiful. Today there was a huge gaggle of Canada geese swimming along the river, hooting away with each other, just floating on the water.

Photo no.622 - graceful geese on the Thames...you can just make them out!



One of my favourite buildings is located on the other side of the river. It would be a lovely place to live...one day! 

Photo no.623 - reflection at Hambleden weir



There has been much talk of the beloved Fiat 500 but no photographic evidence. Well, as this one is due back tomorrow, I thought we'd better get a snap done!

Photo no.624 - beep, beep'm, beep, beep yeah!



A great Sunday afternoon but due to the lazy morning a speedy Sunday supper was needed. I love this dish, it's really summery can even better if you BBQ the salmon, which is what we did...we as I have to give credit to DW, the BBQ chef! 



Photo no.625 - 3 bowls of goodness!




Photo no.626 - Bill Granger's Salmon with mint, spring onion & roast potato salad



If you ever make it, I always just use yoghurt to make the sauce, so I don't feel so guilty eating lots of potatoes!!!

Sunday night supper over and my mind was starting to wander to radiotherapy starting next week. I'm not quite sure what to expect, as ever I'm sure the actual therapy will be fine. It just needs to happen! Thursday seems a long way away. I've had the feeling of insularity these last few days and weeks. For whatever reason I feel I've needed it. Perhaps self preservation has been kicking in. Here's hoping for a night's sleep without hot flushes, as I'm starting to feel even tired-er from interrupted nights...faux menopause just kick in and be done with it!

So radiotherapy rendition will start next week....watch this space!

Peace, love and wellbeing to all!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment